THE FEAR OF MAKING MISTAKES.
Blog about the fear of making mistakes, that can block ourselves at the moment of making decisions in your career change.
IS THE FEAR OF MAKING MISTAKES ONE THING THAT HOLDS YOU BACK IN YOUR CAREER CHANGE?
Last week, I shared my first career change personal experience with you and my mistakes. If you want to know, click here.
Researching about that fear that holds us back in many aspects of our lives, I found the “medical name” for it.
Atelophobia; Atelophobia is often referred to as perfectionism. And while it is considered extreme perfectionism, Dr Gail Saltz, associate professor of psychiatry at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill-Cornell Medical College, says more than that, it is a genuine irrational fear of making any mistake. (Click here to read the entire article)
We have been sold on the idea that mistakes are bad. Personally, I do not like to label what happens to me as good or bad. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and even, at the moment, maybe I don’t fully understand why it’s happening? At a later time, I will totally know, and always will be for the best.
If I go back to my first career change, even 7 years later, I changed my career again; I do not see it as a mistake.
It was a wonderful experience that gave me incredible growth and tools to be a better coach.
I had the opportunity to travel and work with many different people, which opened my mind much more. Coaching and training teams were amazing in my own discovery process. Without that experience, I couldn’t experience another career change that I can now share with you.
Being perfect won’t lead you anywhere. Otherwise, it will prevent you from taking action. Perfect people do not exist.
Without trial and error, you cannot grow. If you want to know about trial and error, go here.
My life has been full of changes, career-wise and personally. I don’t see it as a mistake; I see it as a skill. Having the hability of realize the exact moment when something is not working and fix it.
And that is precisely my purpose in my heart-led career change program. Provide you with tools, so you will be able to fix what is not working for you career-wise.
Today, I want to share five tips to challenge this fear of making mistakes.
- Don’t be afraid or ashamed of your past – I find this a lot between my clients. If they had a bad experience in the past. They are ashamed of it. They are afraid that everything will be like that. Whatever has happened, we cannot change it. But we can equip ourselves with tools to react better this time if it happens again.
- Focus on your processes – If you do not really know how to make a career change successfully. Get help! Trace a plan, and identify what you need to get from Point A to Point B.
- Open your mind – Open to new ways of doing things. Open to new processes. If you have been trying for a while a certain way, and it didn’t work. Then try another way. You don’t need to quit on your goal. You just need to change the way to achieve it.
- Recognize the value of resting – Rest, don’t quit! Stop to think about the same issue all day long. Most of the time, overthinking makes things more significant than they are. Take a break from the problem! And then come back and reassess it.
- Detach from judging noise – Talk with the right people. I have a blog about it; click here. If we are about to make a career change, we need to talk with a career changer. Not someone unhappy in the same job for 10 years.
If you are at the point where you are thinking about a career change, but you are scared to take the wrong decision; then take an hour, get a notepad, and ask yourself these four questions:
- What is holding me back?
- What do I really need to get from A to B?
- In which different way I can try it?
- Who I am seeking for advice? Have they experienced it?
The only way to get clarity is by asking the right questions. Our mind is made to protect us, and anything that throws us out of our comfort zone is a threat we need to be protected from.
I will leave you below a quote that is one of my favourites:
” The greatest mistake someone can ever make is to be afraid of making one.”
~ Elbert Hubbard ~
The reality is if you are reading this today. If you follow me on Instagram, you look at that topic online, and you found this. Then this is the sign that you really want to change. If not, why you are looking at it?
If you haven’t had enough info, I left you three things more to help you.
On 3/1/2021, I will have a weekly email mini-course about preparing for a career change; click here to subscribe. And with that, you will receive my guide to make changes; on this guide, you can discover your values and where your blocks are in terms of change.
Book a 90 minutes brainstorming call to set an immediate action plan to assess what you need to make that career change happen. Book here.
If you are committed to making this career change and doing the inner work. Instead of freaking out and convincing yourself to stay safe but not growing, and it looks like you are not getting anywhere by yourself. You realize you feel stuck and need someone to help you get through it. So let’s have a free vibe call! I got you!
Life is happening right now, and time is the only thing we will never get back, to lose it in a job where we spent most of our time that we hate.
Let’s design your Heart-led Career Change together right now!