How to set goals?
Do you have a career Goal? How to set goals and make them happen is difficult for you?
Do you know how to set goals the right way? Do you find it challenging to stick to the goals you set?
TODAY IN MY BLOG, I WANT TO TALK SPECIFICALLY ABOUT HOW WILL BE THE PROCESS OF SETTING GOALS IN OUR CAREER CHANGE. BEFORE SETTING GOALS, IT IS ESSENTIAL TO KNOW WHERE WE WANT TO GO.
So if you feel that you want to change your career, but you are still feeling a bit lost, first, before setting any goal, go to my other blogs:
There you can find exercises to start with the discovery process of your career change if you know that you want to change, but you are not hundred per cent sure what you want to do.
The most common mistake I see with my clients and many people I know that are not my clients. When we are talking about Goals, our mind already takes us to the result, and it looks like we forget that in anything in life, to get from point A to point B, we need to walk a path, we need to pass through some process. It is not magical.
And here is where we make the first and biggest mistake that set us up for failure without even start. We set the goal as from step 1 will go directly to step 100. And we forget to plan the process. It is possible to get to step 100, but we need first to get to step 2.
The most common case I found within my clients is they came very frustrated; they want another job ASAP. They want to quit their current job, but they forget, it is a process. I could be dishonest and say yes, this will be in a week, but as I changed careers two times myself, I know that will take a minimum of six months.
And the goal-setting, breaking down a career change process, is vital to be successful. We cannot think okay, I quit my job, and tomorrow I will find another one. It is possible, but then we are on the case that we jump from one position to another, with the same result, disappointed and frustrated over and over.
This is basically, for two main reasons:
- We set the goal wrong.
- We have not worked on the process strategically.
Here you have five steps that you should follow to set goals that will lead to a successful career change:
- Setting Achievable Goals – As I already mentioned, goals need to be achievable. We cannot pretend to quit today our job, and tomorrow land our dream job. Without a strategy, without a plan, self-knowledge and work.
- Break the big picture into small milestones – If we want to land our dream job. We need to break it down into steps—the first discovery process of what I want to do. Then break down my strategy on how I get there. For that, if you can hire a career coach, you will save a lot of time.
- Set goals for the short-term – My first goal to set won’t be to land my dream job. It will be: – Do the discovery process/ fix my resume/ analyze the job descriptions to adjust my cover letters/ Check my savings or how I quit my job without suffering.
- Adjust your goals periodically- This step is fundamental. We need to be adjusting our goals when we go to accomplishing steps to check if the next step is on point. Or maybe now our priorities have changed, and the other small step to reach the significant goal need to change as well.
- Track your progress – Every day when you are in a career change process or any process. Do you need to ask yourself; this decision I am making (of course relevant to the process) bring me closer or keep me away from my goal? And act consequently.
Those five steps will help you loads when you are setting your strategy to quit your job or plan any career change.
But what really will help you is to hire a career change coach. It will be much easier to work with an expert, which can give you reassurance in the goals you are setting, which already has the steps perfectly broken down for you to succeed.
If you feel that you are in the wrong career, it is time to move. If you think you want to change, but the idea paralyzes you because of the fear of moving out of your comfort zone, then look for help because I’m sorry to break it to you. It won’t change by itself. So let’s have a free vibe call.
Life is happening right now, and time is the only thing we will never get back, to lose it in a job where we spent most of our time that we hate.