Jan 22, 2019 in Tutoring
5 Tips To Decode A Fingerpicking (or any!?) Song
A powerful and empowering way of learning a song and decoding music is transcribing. This article is about 5 important tips when transcribing a fingerpicking guitar song. Some of these tips and principles can be applied when transcribing any song as
It's your turn now! Let's support each other by clicking "Helpful".
How do I fix a marriage after cheating??
My husband of 5 years has cheated on me. I'm heartbroken. Can I fix our marriage?? Is there hope for us?? Will things get better? Please help
Am I over reacting? Am I the one in the wrong no him
Ok I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years now and he denied cheating on me but everything points to the opposite he's gone to spend the night with his baby moma and her kids in a hotel he rated me put to her when I called the cops on her for her vandalizing my car he would defend her when I would bring thing up about her and he has a video of her playing with her self am I wrong for being mad?
We both have insecurities and trust issues due to past relationships... So, there's the back and forth accusations, yelling, name calling, etc. We are both extremely jealous and have no communication skills. We love each other but sometimes Love isn't enough to make someone understand that you aren't going to hurt them. How can we help each other overcome these issues?
Idk what to do
My boyfriend and I have been fighting because he found some old messages that I had when we started going out, the messages are not bad the conversations where just like hi and bye kind of thing but because I told him I wasn't talking to anyone he's mad but da whole time he was still hanging out with his baby momma behind my back and he would delete all his messages to her so I wouldn't see them
Lost and confused at a crossroads
My boyfriend and I have been together for seven years now. We have had a very tumultuous relationship both of us have hurt each other very much on each parts. But he’s done a lot more wrong it has no accountability. But my question is how do you handle it because anytime I try to talk to him about anything he automatically yells at me, deflects, accuse me of cheating. How do you go about handling
How can I get my teen to confide in me
I've been trying to get my son to confide in me about why he is feeling so depressed. He is 15 years old and a very good teen but have no idea why he is so withdrawn and quiet. Please help me I cant bear to see him like this
What do I do?
I'm not sure what to do. Recently separated mom with 2 young girls and pregnant with my 3rd.
I took my son's Ipad away because I'm at my wit's end with him.
He is so addicted and doesn’t want to do anything else. Can anyone tell me whether I did the right thing or am I being too harsh?
It's 3 y I divorced and we have shared custody of 2 lovely kids. Any advice on how to make them understand that divorced parents is ok?
What should I do?
My son is acting out in school and giving people the middle finger and running around and hitting when he is restrained and he also has speech apraxia and may have ADHD
If you hear a fingerpicking song and want to be able to play it, a powerful and empowering way is to simply transcribe it yourself. It can be more or less tricky to figure out what is going on. However, here are 5 tips that can be helpful for you to decode a song.
First of all, you are in favor of some ear training and music theory knowledge. If this is something you wanted to ramp up and would like support with it, please contact me and I am happy to support you in developing these useful skills.
Alright, let’s jump into the juicy stuff!
1. Listen for harmony. Jot down what you hear on a music- or chord sheet. This will provide you with essential information about key, harmony, and structure.
2. Listen for the bass line. In fingerpicking songs, it is common to craft the bass line with chord notes, 1, 3, 5 and/or 8. The bass notes usually jump between one or the other in quite a structured way. For example, some common patterns for a 4/4 bar where every note is worth a quarter each (they are played on each beat), and the numbers represent the scale degree of a particular chord:
| 1 5 1 5 |
| 1 5 3 5 |
| 1 3 -4* 3 |
| 1 8 5 8 |
* -4 can be seen as the fifth below the 1/root note.
Another way is to go scale wise between chord notes. Of course, there are many variations for each song and style, but these examples and way of approaching bass lines can good you an indication and idea.
3. The melody. It is common for a melody to be top notes. The ear picks up the top notes in a song fairly easy and a melody line is therefore usually placed on top. That fits also well on a guitar as the thumb (one finger) is usually taking care of the bass line, which in general contains fewer notes than the more commonly expressed and variated melody that is played with more fingers (1, 2, 3 or 4 fingers).
The melody usually contains chord material or scale material. In comparison to a bass line, it is more common with variations and “abnormal” notes. However, if you figure out the “on the beat” notes it can give you a good skeleton to work from.
4. The “stuff” in between. As far as fingerpicking is concerned, what is not a bass line or a melody can be seen as rhythmical picking patterns containing chord and scale material. This is an important element that gives a song the “picking character”.
5. Ask for support. I would encourage people to give it a try and pick out as much as you can with these tips. However, if you are stuck, you are most welcome to contact me for support.
I hope this article is helpful for you when transcribing fingerpicking songs. Remember that some of these tips/principles can also be applied when transcribing any tune as they have key elements.
All the best and I wish you good luck!
Johan Nilsson, The Guitar Education