The Ideal of Knowledge Management is to transfer skills from one person to another.
I am of the opinion that Knowledge Management is not a technical discipline, but a human one. What many people mistakenly call Knowledge Management is actually Content Management. Content Management is the collection and classification of data. Knowledge management is the appropriate application of Content.
An example of knowledge management in animals is mass migrations. It is believed that only a few animals with leadership capabilities (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/09/evolution-of-migration/) lead and teach other migration. The native hunters respected this fact, and only hunted from the middle of the herd.
Before wikis and other knowledge management tools were options, the process was accomplished with apprenticeship and hands on experience. With the volume of noise we deal with on a daily basis, we need processes and tools to help us manage the signal appropriately.
The following video gives a fun example of the players and tools involved in knowledge management, and also highlights the major issues. As you watch, follow along with the notes below the video that highlight the problems and solutions:
You, the owner/leader of the Business/Process
Your Business or Process
Person A that has the knowledege you want
Person B that you want to have the knowledge
The knowledge that needs to be transferred
The process and tool (wiki) for knowledge management.
- Transfer Knowledge from Person A to Person B
The Problems and Solutions
- Problem: TMI-Too much information (water)
- Solution: Only Collect What You need/can, or it leaks out
- Problem:Person A is passive, and doesn't actually put data into the sponge
- Solution: Person A has to 1) care enough about the entire process, and 2)know the correct information to put into the Sponge
- Problem:Person B is passive, and doesn't actually squeeze information out of the sponge.
- Solution: Person B has to 1) care enough about the entire process, and 2)know the correct information to ask for from the sponge.
- Problem:The Hands have to Squeeze the information out
- Solution: Teach the People to learn what they need and apply what they learn.
Read this article by navigating from The Learning Organization (5th Discipline, etc) on Wikipedia:
A lot to dig into here...
Learning Styles Don't Exist
Get a wiki, or you could just have another meeting
Asking the Right Questions
A good video begging us to ask the right questions....